To make ready a people for the Lord, demonstrate His (God) love and raise leaders in life and ministry.
Promote sound Christianity by propagating and teaching the absolute pure and uncompromised gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ to all men.
The City of Light Church (TCOLC) is the first branch of The Fountain of Life Church (TFOLC). The City of Light Church (TCOLC) started as a home fellowship of the TFOLC in the house of then Mr. and Mrs. Babalola at 40, Erelu Danisa Street, Ijeshatedo., Surulere, Lagos.
The house fellowship grew to over 150 members. This led the Spirit to minister to the Senior Pastors of TFOLC, Pastors Taiwo and Bimbo Odukoya to start a branch in Ijesatedo. The branch commenced service on 30 April 1995 at Duro Oyedoyin Street, Ijeshatedo, Surulere, Lagos.
By then her pioneer members, most of whom were children, young teenagers and some adults, that included the Babalola family worked and rendered services to the glory of God, which led to the increase of the Church and her move to a more spacious sanctuary at 12/14 Obalodu Street, Ijeshatedo, Surulere, Lagos.
The movement of the Church to Obalodu was a great testimony of God’s leading, favor and pure divine intervention as the place was rented at a price far below all other interested parties, which included Churches.
The then Fountain of Life Church Ijeshatedo, Obalodu grew and expanded from being a youth filled Church to witness the injection of many adults thereby changing the service to two services and membership strength of over a thousand.
In the early part of 2000, there was a change in the policy of The Fountain of Life Church which led to the release of all branches and the subsequent change of name from The Fountain of Life Church to The City of Light Church.
The name of the Church was derived from Mathew 5:14 which states “Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden” which the Lord laid in the heart of Pastor Babalola upon release by The Fountain of Life Church.
The Church is currently building an ultramodern sanctuary, children’s Church and Offices at 2/4/50A/50B Shaki Crescent, Aguda, Lagos at a whooping cost of close to US$2,000,000 and at a record time of 18 months to the glory of God and the upliftment of men.
– GOD, OUR FATHER
We believe in The One and Only True God, Who is our Father. (Matthew 5:45-46)
– THE BIBLE
1. We believe in the teaching of the entire Holy Bible as inspired by the Holy Spirit.
2. We believe that the Bible is the revealed and written will of God. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
– THE DEITY OF JESUS CHRIST
1. We believe in the deity of Jesus Christ. We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, born of Virgin Mary, God revealed in flesh, the Saviour of the world. (Isaiah 9:6, 7:14, Luke 1:35, 2:11)
2. We believe He is the word of God. (John 1:1)
3. We believe that through Jesus, all things were created. (John 1:3)
4. We believe that there is no other way by which mankind will be saved except Jesus Christ. (John 1:1-14)
5. We believe in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
6. We believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to the Father. (John 14:6)
7. We believe that Jesus Christ is one with the Father (John 10:30, 17:22)
– THE HOLY SPIRIT
1. We believe in the Holy Spirit.
2. We believe the Holy Spirit is the third Person in the Trinity.
3. We believe that the Holy Spirit is one and the same with God.
1. We believe in the Trinity, three in one God – Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
2. We believe that God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost are one God, but made of three personalities, One in Trinity. (2 Corinthians 3:17)
1. We believe that man is tripartite being made of spirit, soul and body. (1 Thesselonians 5:23)
2. We believe that at death, the spirit and soul will be separated from the body, while the body goes back to the earth (Genesis 2:7, 3:19, Ecclesiastes 3:20, Job 7:21, Daniel 12:2), the spirit goes back to God (Ecclesiastes 12:7, 3:21) and the soul is judged. (Matthew 10:28, 16:26, Mark 8:36-37, Act 2:27, Hebrews 10:39)
– REPENTANCE, JUSTIFICATION OR NEW BIRTH
1. We believe in repentance and the forgiveness of sins.
2. We believe in justification and new birth which are God’s grace whereby we are cleansed from sins so as to enable us stand before God as though we have never sinned. (Acts 13:39)
– SANCTIFICATION (HOLINESS)
1. We believe in sanctification by which our souls are progressively and completely cleansed by grace.
2. We are made holy by our act of belief in Jesus Christ as evidenced in our being born again.
3. We believe that we are sanctified upon being born again.
4. We believe that it is the Holy Spirit that sanctifies us and not the physical act of any man. (John 17:17)
1. We believe in baptism in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
2. We believe in water baptism as an outward sign of repentance.(Matthew 28:19)
3. We believe in the Holy Spirit baptism and speaking in tongues. (Acts 2:1-3)
1. We believe in righteousness.
2. We believe that all Christians should abstain from sin and all appearance of evil.
3. We believe that all Christians should strive towards righteousness.
4. We do not believe in swearing and cursing. (1 Thesselonians 5:22)
– RESPECT AND OBEDIENCE TO CONSTITUTED AUTHORITY
We believe that constituted authority should be obeyed and prayed for. (Hebrews 13:17, Romans 13:1-7)
– HOLY MATRIMONY
1. We believe in Holy Matrimony. (Matthew 19:4-6)
2. We believe in the sanctity of marriage and that marriage is honourable in all. (Hebrews 13:4)
3. We believe in one man, one wife. (Matthew 19:4-6, Genesis 2:18)
– HOLY COMMUNION OR THE LORD’S SUPPER
1. We believe in the Holy Communion as instituted by Jesus Christ before His crucifixion.
2. We believe in regularly sharing the bread and wine in Holy Communion as a reminder of the perfected works of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 26:26-29, 1 Corinthians 11:23-30)
– THE CHURCH OF GOD
1. We believe in the regular gathering of people called the Church of God (Hebrews 10:25, 12:23)
2. We believe that Jesus Christ is the Head of the Church.
3. We believe that the gathering is to worship God in truth and in spirit.
4. We believe that the Church is the assembly of believers and believers to be in Christ who are fed with the Word of God.
5. We believe that people should separate the Lord’s Day during which time they are to gather to worship. (Ephesians 5:24-29, Acts 2:41-47, Matthew 28:19, 1 Corinthians 16:2)
We believe in rapture, the second coming of Jesus Christ. (1 Thesselonians 4:15-17, Matthew 24:40-44, 25:1-10)
– THE TRIBULATION PERIOD
We believe in the tribulation period, the time between the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ to receive the saints into heaven and His coming to administer judgment. (Matthew 24:21. Revelation 16, Mark 13:19, Daniel 12:1, Malachi 4:1)
– THE MILLENNIAL REIGN
We believe that Jesus Christ shall appear again the second time and set up His kingdom for the Holy ones one thousand years during which time satan shall be chained and the dead in Christ shall rise, that’s the first resurrection and reign with Christ.
This is the millennial reign of Jesus during which time peace and blessings shall reign unfettered. There will be no death or suffering or sickness. (Revelation 20:1-6, 2:26-27, 20:2-3, Daniel 7:13-14, 22-27)
– ETERNAL LIFE AND ETERNAL PUNISHMENT
We believe in eternal life and eternal punishment.
We believe that eternal life is reserved for those who are born again while eternal punishment is for sinners. (Matthew 25:46, Revelation 14:10-11, Mark 9:4)
– NINE GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
We believe in the nine gifts of the Holy Spirit for the exhortation and edification of the church. (1 Corinthians 12:1-12)
We believe in miracles as the working of God in our midst to glorify His name (John 2:11, 2 Kings 5:14,15)
We believe in constant prayers in the name of Jesus Christ alone. (John 16:23)